The DEVOTION OF THE HOLY FACE
IS MEANT TO COMBAT COMMUNISM
Our Lord said that only Reparation to His Holy Face could disarm the Justice of God because the guilt of men had provoked His anger.
On October 4, 1846, Our Lord explained to Sr. Marie what
chastisements of God’s Justice would be felt because of the profanation of Sunday. There had been a terrible flood caused by the overflowing of the River Loire that had been unprecedented and had not been seen for many centuries. Sr. Marie was told that God “wielded the elements” because of the profanation of Sunday. On this day, Sr. Marie was given to know that in the future (perhaps because He was largely ignored) 'God’s Justice would be used as the instrument of punishment, not the elements, but the ‘malice of revolutionary men—that is the Communists.’ (This was the first revelation from Heaven concerning Communism. Our Lord said that this devotion would defeat it. It is, therefore, the sister-devotion to the Fatima devotion--necessary to save the world. It is interesting to note that Communism was at its very beginning stages, as Karl Marx, the father of Communism, had not even published his “Communist Manifesto” until 1848.) Our Lord then ordered Sr. Marie to wage war against the enemies of the Church, the Communists, through her prayers and the instruments of His Passion which would be her only weapons against them and the devil himself.
The following quotes show exactly the very mission Our Lord asked of her and how then we were to follow in her footsteps with this devotion
Sr. Marie St. Peter
"The Lord made known to his servant that his justice was, in reality, preparing chastisements for mankind. We shall soon behold, not only the elements as the instruments of the Divine Wrath, but the malice of man in open rebellion against itself." (from "The Life of Sr. Marie St. Peter" by Abbe Janvier 1883 pg. 286)
On March 29th, 1848, the docile obedient Carmelite chosen by God to fight this evil, Sr. Marie St. Peter writes in her diary on March 29th, 1848:
"God has imposed on me a new mission, at which I would be disturbed were I of any consequence, but as I am nothing but a feeble instrument in his all-powerful hand, I am not alarmed. He has commanded me to cross swords with the Communists, who, as he told me, were the sworn enemies of the Church, and of his Christ. He gave me to understand that the greater number of these renegades were born in the bosom of the Church, of whom they now declare themselves the most bitter enemies. Then He added:
'I have already made known to you that I hold you in my hands as an arrow, now I will shoot forth my arrow upon my enemies. To combat them, I give you the arms of my Passion, my Cross, of which they are the enemies, as also all the other instruments of my sufferings. Wage war against them with the simplicity of a child, but with the courage of a valiant warrior. For this mission be signed with the blessing of the Father and the son and of the Holy Ghost.'"
On Holy Thursday, April 1, He said:
"The soldier who knows the object of the war in which he is engaged, aware of the insult offered his prince, arms himself fearlessly to avenge the affront. Well, my daughter, it is the Communists who have dragged me from my tabernacles, profaned and despoiled my sanctuaries, and have even dared to raise their hands against the anointed of the Lord, but their designs shall be frustrated. Have they not committed the crime of Judas! Have they not sold me for silver! This knowledge should not remain sterile in your soul, for I give it you to help you in the combat. Be actuated with a spirit of simplicity, for if you reason too much, you will not be a fit instrument in my hands. Think rather of the glory which the heavenly court will render me for having made use of so worthless a creature in so noble a cause!"
"Observe, if you please, reverend mother, that Our Lord made me understand this yesterday; and today, Holy Thursday, a most memorable day, for it was on this day that He instituted the ineffable sacrament of the altar in which He lies exposed to the outrages and the profanations of His enemies, I wish to make again an honorable amend to my Divine Savior in the sacrament of his love, in reparation for these sacrilegious outrages, which he so forcibly recalled to my mind and which, alas! I had too soon forgotten...."
"...These Communists are so malicious and vindictive that I wished to destroy their vices and I pray that virtue may triumph where vice has reigned. I said:
'Let God arise, let his enemies be dispersed, and let all those who hate him be scattered before his Face!
May the Name of God thrice holy upset all their schemes!
May the Sacred Name of the living God bring disunion and dissention in their designs!
May the terrible Name of God wipe out their iniquity!'" (from "The Life of Sr. Marie St. Peter" by Abbe Janvier 1883 pg. 319-323 Chapter titled: “Communists.”)
The Nine Promises from Our Lord
(to those who practice Devotion to the Holy Face. These promises were collated in the 1880s by the original propagators of the Devotion. The first two are promises given to Saint Gertrude and St. Mechtilde, and the remaining seven were given by Our Lord to Sister Marie de Saint-Pierre)
1. “They shall receive in themselves by the impression of My Humanity, a bright irradiation of My Divinity, and shall be so illuminated by It in their inmost souls, that by their likeness to My Face, they shall shine more than any others in eternal life.” [Saint Gertrude, Insinuations, Book IV, Ch. VII]
2. Saint Mechtilde asked Our Lord if those who celebrate the memory of His Holy Face should never be deprived of His amiable company. Our Lord replied, “Not one of them shall be separated from Me.” [Saint Mechtilde, Of Spiritual Grace, Book I, Ch. XIII]
3. “Our Lord has promised me [says Sister Marie de Saint Pierre] that He will imprint His Divine likeness on the souls of those who honor His most Holy Countenance. [Jan. 21, 1847] “This adorable Face is, as it were, the seal of the Divinity, which has the virtue of reproducing the likeness of God in the souls that are applied to it.” [Nov. 6, 1845]
4. “By My Holy Face you shall work miracles.” [Oct. 27, 1845]
5. “By My Holy Face you will obtain the conversion of many sinners. Nothing that you ask in making this offering will be refused to you. If you knew how pleasing the sight of My Face is to My Father!” [Nov. 22, 1846]
6. “As in an earthly kingdom you can procure all you wish with a coin marked with the prince’s effigy, so in the Kingdom of Heaven you may obtain all you desire with the precious coin of My holy Humanity, which is My adorable countenance.” [Oct. 29, 1845]
7. “All those who honor My Holy Face in a spirit of reparation will, by so doing, perform the office of the pious Veronica.” [Oct. 27, 1845]
8. “According to the care you take in making reparation to My Face disfigured by blasphemies, so will I take care of yours which has been disfigured by sin. I will reprint therein My image and render it as beautiful as it was on leaving the Baptismal font.” [Nov. 3, 1845]
9. “Our Lord has promised me,” says Sister Marie de Saint Pierre, “that all those who defend His cause in this work of reparation, by words, by prayers, or in writing, He will defend before His Father; at their death He will purify their souls by effacing all the blots of sin and will restore to them their primitive beauty.” [March 12, 1846]"
(The Nine Promises were first published in the book "M. Dupont and the Devotion to the Holy Face," Father P. Janvier [Oratory of the Holy Face, Tours, 1885], p. 103.)